RE: [fetchmail]newbie...forwarding question

2004-02-25 14:18:06
Does this answer my question?????
Adnan wrote:

Hi,

I have just started using fetchmail. Sounds like a great app to me.

My question:  Is it possible for fetchmail to fetch email from either
POP3 or IMAP account and forward (store) the mail as a file on the
server instead of forwarding the mail to an SMTP server?

Is it even possible....If so, what does the conf file looks like and
in
what format the file will be available?

All answers are welcome

Thanks a lot............

Adnan

Can Fetchmail just place mail into a folder instead of using the
local delivery agent?

Not as such, but a "local delivery agent" that delivers to a folder
can be written in one line of shell code in the fetchmailrc file.
For example:

  mda "( echo -n 'From %F ' ; date '+%a %b %e %R:%S %Y' ; /bin/cat ;
echo '' ) >> ~/Mail/InComing"

This is essentially the same as what I am currently using, but note
that, as written, it provides no locking and hence no protection
against races between delivery and a mailreader.  It also does not
handle resource-exhaustion problems (full disk).  It works well
enough for me because I run fetchmail manually and check for problems
before manually deleting the mail from the server.  I would *not*
recommend this setup for fully-automated operation.

You may need to tweak it a bit -- that "From " line is formatted as
my mailreader requires and is therefore somewhat non-standard.

Adnan

\