[fetchmail]socket error

2004-04-01 00:19:30
I was getting this for a while....it seems that my service provider may
have listened to my complaints.  Since I had complained about the
problem, I haven't seen nearly as many.  Even though they said that they
didn't support fetchmail.  I was getting them at least once a day, now I
haven't seen this in about a week.

One work around is to run the fetchmail command with the --all switch.

This allows the fetchmail client to use the RETR pop3 command instead of
the TOP command.  That seems to get the message downloaded.

Personally, I think it is a poorly formatted message that the mail
server is letting get through and that poorly formatted message is
getting stuck when fetchmail tries to retrieve it.

If the above doesn't work, I have used telnet to get the message. Like
this:

telnet my.mail.server 110
user myusername
pass mypassword
retr 1

I download the first message because that is normally the one that is
stuck.  Also, this can work, but you would lose the message:

fetchmail -B 1 -l (size of stuck message - 20)

This will skip right past the "bad" message.

Not great solutions...but they worked for me.

I have messages of all sizes that caused this problem if anyone is
interested in seeing them.

Mike