RE: [fetchmail](no subject)

2004-04-01 08:14:32
Whoa, I didn't mean to sound like a prick if I did.  I
was just making
reference to a few other threads that appeared to have
the same problem.
I am not saying that fetchmail is to blame for the
problem.  It could be
many other factors.  I figure it is the way I have
configured fetchmail,
and am hoping that someone that has had this same
problem will see this
and say, this is what you need to do to fix your (my)
problem.

If you look at my original thread

-Fetchmail hangs - query status=2 (socket)-

you will see that I am blaming the problem on the
header of certain
emails.  Yes, I have compared the header of good
emails and bad emails,
and there is, as far as I can see, only one
difference.  The first line
of the header looks like this

The email that I see this in the most is from Schwab
Stock Alerts, but
it also appears in emails from ZDNet, and I have even
seen it in an
email from Yahoo.  All of the emails that I have seen
this in are list
emails, including the email from Yahoo, however not
all list emails are
a problem.  I have saved copies of the offending
email, and I would
gladly send copies of these emails to someone that can
help me with my
problem, but, I don't know any of these people.
Anyone here game?

It is a high possibility that it is the MTA that I am
pulling from that
is creating the problem, however, I do have an earlier
version of
Fetchmail (5.7.4) running on another box, using the
same .fetchmailrc
file as I am using with the latest version of
fetchmail(6.2.5).  The
earlier version of fetchmail retrieves these emails
without a hiccup.

One thing that I see that appears to be different is
when I run
fetchmail -V I get (5.7.4+IMAP-GSS+SSL+INET6+NLS) from
the early
version, and this (6.2.5+SSL+NLS) from the latest
version.  The earlier
version is in a box that someone else setup using
Redhat and Sendmail.
The latest is in a box that I setup using Slackware
9.1 and Postfix 2.0
Patch level 19.  I don't know what the difference is
with the
"+IMAP-GSS" and "+INET6".  Can someone here tell me?

This doesn't appear to have anything to do with
postfix or popa3d that I
am using.  The reason I say this is because of the one
line in the
results of a fetchmail -vvv

socket error while fetching from
mail.********************.com

While I realize there is a lot more to this, this is
really the only
difference I see between fetchmail completing
properly, and failing.
The way I translate this line, is it has a problem
fetching from the
MTA, not sending to Postfix locally, so I figure a
problem with Postfix
is out of the equation.

If you want to see my results of fetchmail -vv go here
http://lists.ccil.org/pipermail/fetchmail-friends/2004-March/008468.html
And look about half way down the page.  You will see a
completion and a
failure.  My .fetchmailrc file looks like this

poll mail.****.com localdomains ****.com
        proto pop3
        pass **** with user **** to * here

Again, thanks to anyone that can help.

Scott

Rod Smart Wrote:

    You may be right that it is a problem of
Fetchmail, but have you
even thought that there must be something special
about that E-mail that
is killing the retrieval process?

    Have you looked at the E-mail and compared the
headers to valid
E-mails?

    Have you taken a copy of the E-mail and forwarded
it to people who
may be able to help with your problem?

    Too many people blame the controlling process and
not think that
there is something wrong with the product, The process
being fetchmail
pulls across 1000 E-mails happily, but locks because
of 1 E-mail, where
is the fault?

    Naturally the process is blamed, they never
consider there is a
problem with the product that is causing the problem.

    Ok, there have been others complain of the same
problem, same
result, "Fetchmail is the problem" but how do you know
that they are not
having the same problem E-mail your having?

    What would happen if its the MTA that your pulling
the E-mail from
that is the culpret of your E-mail transfer problems?

    When you go online to clear the E-mail your
possibly accessing the
E-mail using IMAP, and when your using Fetchmail, from
your info log,
its POP3, what happens if this problem is affecting a
certain version of
POP3 server, where as the IMAP server doesn't have the
problem as it
accesses and delivers the offending product in a
different way.

Brian Huttenga wrote:

Rob,

You are correct in saying that socket errors are
usually network
connection problems.  However, I don't believe this
is
the case here.  I
see three threads other than my own that have this
exact same problem.
See threads - ****1 Mail blockig the whole que**** -
****fetchmail
socket error**** -  ****a program like fetchmail****
-
****Fetchmail
hangs - query status=2 (socket)****.

My fetchmail will retrieve 150 emails without a
problem.  It will
retrieve an email with a 10Mb attachment, or more.
But, when it gets to
certain email, and it is always the same certain
emails from the same
certain people, it stops with a  "query status=2"
error.  The offending
email is always an email sent to a list of people.
Example, Schwab
alerts, or ZDNet bulk mailings.  If there are 30
emails in the list to
retrieve, and the offending email is number 10, that
is where it stops.
I can log on to the server, delete the offending
email
and then run
fetchmail again, and it will download all 29 that are
left with no
hiccups.

Thanks to anyone for their time, and any response.

Scott