Re: [fetchmail]Protocol error

2004-05-06 06:23:49
On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 09:07:17PM +0100, Brian Candler wrote:
The POP3 server has done a Bad Thing (TM).

fetchmail said "LIST 1", which means "give me the information about message
number 1"; the response should be

+OK 1 2985

However the POP3 server has interpreted it as "LIST", and started to send
back a complete maildrop listing:

+OK me has 16 messages
1 2985
2 5405
... etc

Fetchmail sees the "1 2985" as the response to the "RETR 1" command, which
is an error. It then tries to abort by sending QUIT, and sees "2 5405" as
the response to the QUIT command.

If I do the same by telnet directly, it works like a charm.

~ %:> telnet mail.mailhost.tld 110
Trying 80.86.193.14...
Connected to mail.mailhost.tld.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Welcome to the @Mail POP3 Server. Authenticate yourself.
USER me(_at_)mailhost(_dot_)tld
+OK Password required for me(_at_)mailhost(_dot_)tld
PASS ******************
+OK me has 16 messages (9061573 octets)
RETR 1
+OK 2985 octets

You didn't do the same test: you should have said "LIST 1" first.

Is there a special way to retrieve this mailbox?

You would have to frig the fetchmail source so it doesn't issue the
particular command which your POP3 server is wrongly implementing.

Regards,

Brian.

Well, I see, I think I'll have to whine at them in the support@ mailbox
of this lame provider.
Thanks anyway for the hint.

--
Enfin vivement les procs optique qui ne chaufferont pas trop ;-)
Vivement les proc quantiques, en rajoutant un glaçon, on pourra même