Re: [fetchmail]keeping messages marked as unread

2004-05-16 23:17:18
Rob wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: fetchmail-friends-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org [mailto:fetchmail-friends-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Eric Quintana

Is there a way to keep fetched messages marked as unread on the original server?

Not reliably.  The default approach for fetchmail *may* leave messages
marked unread on *some* POP servers.

Of course, if you're talking IMAP then you need to remember that with
IMAP it's the client that keeps track of what has been read, not the
server...

PLEASE - keep list traffic on the list.  Email sent directly to me may
be ignored utterly.

Fetchmail by default uses the server side \Seen flag in the IMAP driver to determine whether it's seen the mail or not rather than using Client-Side tracking (this is also the case with most clients as well I should point out). I have posted a patch (check the archives, this has been addressed several times) which uses the UIDL code in the POP3 implementation to implement client-side seen tracking. I've been using it in production for a couple months now, and it works pretty well, except for an occassional duplication of mail that I haven't been able to reproduce reliably (thus I've been unable to fix it).

Clint