Re: [fetchmail]Fetchmail obsoletes popclient? How do I ...

2004-08-06 10:23:02
Please tell me if I'm wrong -- Wherever I look on the internet, people
say that fetchmail obsoletes popclient.

I want to pop messages from a server, and dump the output directly to
file, or stdout, instead of forwarding to the local mta or mda.

I can't find any way to make fetchmail do this for me, and I can't find
a download for popclient anymore.

Should fetchmail do this for me?

You should be able to do this if you use procmail as your delivery

You can also use "cat" as the mda.  The only expectation fetchmail has of the
"mda" programs is that they accept text on standard input.
So you can use any program that reads from the standard input.

I vaguely remember having problems when I tried to use shell meta-characters
in the "mda" argument.  I.E. having your mda be "cat > file" or
"grep foo | sed -e script" might not work.  In a case like that, you might
have to construct a shell script that reads from standard input and does all
the magic for you.