RE: [fetchmail]Fetchmail obsoletes popclient? How do I ...

2004-08-07 00:23:01
Edward Ned Harvey [eharvey(_at_)engim(_dot_)com] danced on the keyboard and
produced:

First off, patience.  All 3 of your emails, including that test, got through
the list just fine - I received every one within a couple of minutes of you
sending them.  I doubt I'm unique.  That you didn't just means you've got
problems at your end.

Please tell me if I'm wrong -- Wherever I look on the internet, people
say that fetchmail obsoletes popclient.

I want to pop messages from a server, and dump the output directly to
file, or stdout, instead of forwarding to the local mta or mda.

Why?

I can't find any way to make fetchmail do this for me, and I
can't find a download for popclient anymore.

Should fetchmail do this for me?

No.  However you can hack it by telling it to use an MDA directly and simply
put "cat" as the MDA (or "cat >> file").

Keep in mind however that hacking things like this means you may either lose
email, or have it mangled beyond recognition.  Far better to find an
alternative way of doing whatever you're trying to do.

The exercise in working out how to actually do this is left to the reader.
You've got enough information to work out how to shoot yourselv in the foot as
it is :)

PLEASE - keep list traffic on the list.  Email sent directly to me may
be ignored utterly.

--
Rob | What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?