[fetchmail]Re: wish? bug? another case where fetchmail just stops working

2004-09-12 14:21:07
Am 2004-09-12 13:09:24, schrieb Tom Emerson:

Note the FROM line:

     From: Rachel  Melendez <P[5-](_at_)epomail(_dot_)com>

given that this is probably illegal syntax, I gather it is simply a mechanism
the spammer is using to avoid nastygrams in return.  The net effect, of
course, is that fetchmail simply "stops" retrieving messages [from an
end-user's viewpoint -- technically, fetchmail continues to wake up every 5
minutes, but refuses to budge on this message]

I am using

  ____ ( -c 'apt-cache policy fetchmail' ) _____________________________
 /
|  fetchmail:
|    Installed: (none)
|    Candidate: 6.2.5-8.backports.org.1
|    Version Table:
|  ***  6.2.5-8.backports.org.1 0
|         1000 http://woody.debian.tamay-dogan.net woody/all Packages
|          400 http://www.backports.org woody/all Packages
|       5.9.11-6.2 0
|         1000 http://woody.debian.tamay-dogan.net woody/main Packages
|         1000 http://woody.debian.tamay-dogan.net woody/updates/main Packages
 \______________________________________________________________________

and I have not this Error-Message while fetching Messages
with illegal characters... maybe because I use "imap" ?

WHAT I WOULD LIKE: a configuration option to drop these messages (delete from
server) since there isn't really anything that can be done about them.  In
the case of the original bugs noted, one was due to a hard failure of the
server to deliver the message, which may mean the message is already gone;
and the other has to do with a similarly-munged message-ID, which causes a
headache for fetchmail itself it seems [I would venture to guess the
duplicate-search is looping, but that's only a guess...]

I'm running fetchmail as a daemon in a basic straight-fetch-and-deliver mode;
version 6.2.3 from a stock SuSE 9.0 install (and the NEWS file in the latest
source does not give any indication that this problem has been addressed)

I am running "Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r2" with fetchmails as backport
from unstable.

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi