Re: [fetchmail]Fetchmail and a Barracuda

2004-11-09 21:34:56
Nick Bellomy wrote:
We've just recently deployed a Barracuda spam filtering device and have
been quite pleased with its performance.  I've been tasked with finding
a way to use the device to filter some of our clients home/isp email
accounts.  I believe that I could use fetchmail to retrieve the messages
via POP, change the To address from user(_at_)ISP(_dot_)com to something like
user_ISP(_dot_)com(_at_)filteringservicedomain(_dot_)com, and redeliver the
message to
the Barracuda filtering box.
The Barracuda would then filter the mail and deliver to a mail server
for filteringservicedomain.com.

Is this within the capabilities of fetchmail or am I a little off base.
Would I be able to have fetchmail deliver to the Barracuda via SMTP or
would it need to go through a local MTA?  Thanks for the help.
From my fetchmail experience I think this should be possible. It would probably be best to try using fetchmail and a MTA to see if you can get it to send to another(external) address and then think about putting the Barracuda in as a mail filter on outgoing mail (from the MTA)
Play around with it and see what you can do.
As the fetchmailrc format is 'login_name is user here' I believe adds an
'Envelope-to' header but with some tweaks I am sure you can get it to change to To header instead, or have address rewriting after fetchmail.
e.g.
Fetchmail downloads message and sends it to a localuser (mail account only) who has a procmail script to send it to the real address.
Tim
p.s. I am a Linux user so if you are trying to do this on another OS I can't help you (except suggest Cygwin for Windows)
--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net