Re: [fetchmail]Re: envelope "Received" not working

2004-12-05 16:08:13
Mike Yates <hctef(_at_)fonehelp(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> writes:

Rob MacGregor wrote:
A run of "fetchmail -v -v" should help identify what fetchmail thinks
(and, once you've stripped out passwords/usernames should help us
too).

Well, it wasn't the header-line wrapping that I thought it was, but
fetchmail being far too finickety as usual!

Your setup is inherently broken and cannot be fixed until the moment
where your provider stuffs one copy per recipient and keeps the original
envelope recipient into some header.

http://home.pages.de/~mandree/mail/multidrop.html

Still can't see how to fix it,

You can't. Ask your provider to copy the original envelope recipient to
some header, or switch protocols. ODMR, (ETRN if you have static IP) or
UUCP.

Now fetchmail is complaining that "thmailsite4.services.byworkwise.com
is not an alias of the mailserver" but why should it be?

If fetchmail had only never introduced Received line parsing.

You can use "aka" to list aliases.

mail.hatton.co.uk = 217.28.130.67
thmailsite4.services.byworkwise.com = 217.28.130.98
Any of the mailsite servers may have received the message.
Note above that fetchmail was talking to thmailsite5.services.byworkwise.com
so why should it expect an "alias" of that?

Probably an artifact of their DNS configuration.

fetchmail: POP3< +OK 79436 octets
reading message catchall(_at_)hatton(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk@217.28.130.67:4 of 69
(79436 octets)
About to rewrite Return-path: <chrisreah(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>
Rewritten version is Return-path: <chrisreah(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>
About to rewrite From: chrisreah(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com
Rewritten version is From: chrisreah(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com
About to rewrite To: userX(_at_)hatton(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk
Rewritten version is To: userX(_at_)hatton(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk
fetchmail: incorrect header line found while scanning headers
fetchmail: message catchall(_at_)hatton(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk@217.28.130.67:4
was not the expected length (79433 actual != 79436 expected)
fetchmail:  retained

OK, it was 3 bytes short.
Is that usual with virus emails?

I see such regularly even on legitimate mail, but haven't bothered to
investigate. It's probably not worth it, and I'd suspect size
information on some POP3 servers to be off.