Re: [fetchmail]Fetchmail error after SMTP error

2005-02-07 04:01:49
Tom Emerson wrote:

[...]

[raising hand] yeah, I'm one of them :)

Thought that there might be some :-)

[...]

same boat here again.  If the implication above is that the folks who
maintain fetchmail have actually /done/ something about this particular problem, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if this works for you. Although I've had this problem for over a year, I've installed fetchmail in a "fire and forget" mode [meaning that when I asked this same question last year and the "use antispam" suggestion didn't work either, I pretty much gave up on this since the incidence rate also dropped to zero anyway. Unfortunately, these seem to have started up again and now I usually run into this problem two or three times a week]
As far as I could tell fetchmail 6.2.5 was released sometime in Oct. 2003...
Anyways, it works like a charm now - at least I have not noticed any oddities since then. I have tried the test case email from my original post and it worked as expected.

Teaches me once again not to rely on the update mechanisms of SuSE :-(

It isn't necessarily that SuSE doesn't update properly, but more likely
that the folks at SuSE haven't actually built up "the latest" and included it in their distro [even though "the latest" may work perfectly fine] Please realize that SuSE distributes HUNDREDS (thousands?) of programs [same is true of any distribution for that matter] and unless someone who works for SuSE is directly affected by any given problem, chances are that the version of any given program that gets included is "a few revs back" :)
That's what I meant wit "propably a problem of all distros". I am generally quite content with the update service, since i don't have to worry *much* about security issues. What I meant was rather if you are up-to-date and things still go wrong, you need to grab the latest sources and recompile. Surely you cannot expect from any distro maintainer to check the dependencies of every package when doinng a version upgrade - but on the other hand fetchmail is a very popular program and would imho deserves better coverage than other packages. Hmmm... I just checked the latest SuSE distro and they ship with 6.2.5 - so it just did not make it in the updates for the older (but still supported) distros. ( Answers to this last part to me personally - no need to clutter the fetchmail list with a distro flamewar ;-) )

Cheers,
Tobias