Re: [fetchmail]Fetchmail error after SMTP error

2005-02-06 10:14:37
On Thursday 03 February 2005 3:40 am, Tobias Meyer wrote:
Matthias Andree wrote:
Tobias Meyer <tobias(_at_)apeiron(_dot_)de> writes:
I have searched the Net now for some time, finding several people with
similar problems, but unfortunately no satisfying solution.

[raising hand] yeah, I'm one of them :)

The problem is that fetchmail "hangs" when trying to deliver an email
with invalid from-address to postfix.

Please retry with 6.2.5.

Thanks - I should have tried that earlier...

same boat here again.  If the implication above is that the folks who maintain
fetchmail have actually /done/ something about this particular problem,
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if this works for you.  Although I've had
this problem for over a year, I've installed fetchmail in a "fire and forget"
mode [meaning that when I asked this same question last year and the "use
antispam" suggestion didn't work either, I pretty much gave up on this since
the incidence rate also dropped to zero anyway.  Unfortunately, these seem to
have started up again and now I usually run into this problem two or three
times a week]

Teaches me once again not to rely on the update mechanisms of SuSE :-(

It isn't necessarily that SuSE doesn't update properly, but more likely that
the folks at SuSE haven't actually built up "the latest" and included it in
their distro [even though "the latest" may work perfectly fine]  Please
realize that SuSE distributes HUNDREDS (thousands?) of programs [same is true
of any distribution for that matter] and unless someone who works for SuSE is
directly affected by any given problem, chances are that the version of any
given program that gets included is "a few revs back" :)