Re: [fetchmail]Trouble after RH 7.2 to Fedora Core 3 upgrade

2005-02-24 19:26:18
Perry Hutchison wrote:
Recently I upgraded my machine from RH 7.2 to FC 3. This step
replaced fetchmail 5.9.x with 6.2.5, whereupon fm could no
longer get my email from my ISP's POP3 server ...

fetchmail: starting fetchmail 6.2.5 daemon
fetchmail: 31 messages for anderson at wiscmail.wisc.edu (197719 octets).
fetchmail: reading message anderson(_at_)wiscmail(_dot_)wisc(_dot_)edu:1 of 31
(2585 octets) fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from wiscmail.wisc.edu

It looks as if your fetchmail is configured to deliver to the local
SMTP listener, but your new FC3 config does not have one :)

And so it proved to be. Somehow the upgrade fouled up wrt sendmail
such that it did not start at boot time (it never occurred to me
to check earlier). I had done a fresh install (rather than upgrade)
on my laptop, and there was no such problem there, but I never use
it for mail unless I'm on the road.

The fix on the desktop machine turned out to be to uninstall and
reinstall sendmail and sendmail.cf from the distrtibution RPMs, and
now fetchmail works fine with mutt.

Special thanks to Perry!

--
*  Copyright 2005 Jess Anderson