[fetchmail]Fetchmail daemon mode

2005-04-17 08:57:32
Hi All,

I'm slightly confused on getting fetchmail to run in daemon mode.  Let me
start by saying I'm running a Debian 3.1 (Sarge) system with Fetchmail
6.2.5. I have the following files setup...

/etc/fetchmailrc
-rw-------    1 fetchmail root         65 Apr 14 23:33 fetchmailrc

  set daemon 300
  set postmaster ""
  set no bouncemail
  set no spambounce
  set syslog

/home/user/.fetchmailrc
-rw-------  1 user user    83 Apr 15 22:31 .fetchmailrc

  set daemon 300
  poll server.domain.com
    proto pop3
    user "username"
    pass "password"

The startup script /etc/init.d/fetchmail is set to read the config file
/etc/fetchmailrc.  Trying to start fetchmail with that script, or starting
fetchmail manually with the -f option yeilds the "no mailservers" error..
explainable since no servers are listed in /etc/fetchmailrc.  Starting
fetchmail as the user and specifying /home/user/.fetchmailrc with the -f
option works great, but requires one fetchmail process per user.  Now, I
could move the server lines from the ~/.fetchmailrc files to the
/etc/fetchmailrc file, but then the users lose control of their individual
fetchmail options.

My question should be obvious now, but is there any way to do this with only
one fetchmail process and still leave the files in ~/.fetchmailrc so the
users can edit them?

Bill Greganti
Greganti Consulting
714-746-3356