RE: [fetchmail]Fetchmail daemon mode

2005-04-18 21:43:12
-----Original Message-----
From: fetchmail-friends-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org
[mailto:fetchmail-friends-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Rob MacGregor
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 11:50 AM
To: Fetchmail User Mailinglist
Subject: Re: [fetchmail]Fetchmail daemon mode

On 4/17/05, Bill Greganti <t20030101(_at_)greganti(_dot_)com> wrote:

Not being real familiar with fetchmail yet, does anyone see
a problem with thousands of processes running?

Depends on your hardware and OS (and how you've tuned that OS if
applicable).  Mostly it depends on what you really mean by thousands.

I guess 3,000 and 900,000 are both in the thousands. :)

Probably no more than 5000 email users, along with a couple hundred
low to medium traffic websites.  By that point I'll invest in another
machine and a co-location service.

What you're trying to do isn't that bad an idea, but it's fraught with
so many potential problems, and that's before anybody approaches it
with a malicious intent.

For now I'm going to go with the one process per user.  What I may
work on over time, would be a script that will start multiple fetchmail
daemons, but each handling say a block of 100 users.  This would be a
compromise between my two current options.

Bill Greganti
Greganti Consulting
714-746-3356