Re: [fetchmail]Does SPF break fetchmail?

2005-07-09 05:18:32
[ Please don't include me when mailing the list - I only need one copy! ]

On 09/07/05, Neil Harkins <nharkins(_at_)well(_dot_)com> wrote:

sendmail predates SPF, yet it can support SPF.
fetchmail is a tool, with maintainers, that has added
new features to be compatible with new standards.

It would be fairer to say that sendmail has a history of active
maintenance.  Fetchmail however has stalled over the last couple of
years.  ESR hasn't been heard from in quite some time now and appears
to have moved on from fetchmail.

Efforts are, still, underway to kick it off again, but it's slow going.

Ultimately, mail aggregation like fetchmail is the main
problem with SPF. I started the thread to see if any thought
has been given towards making it work, instead of ignoring
what is an otherwise admirable anti-spam effort.

Don't disagree that fixing it would be good, but as I said above,
development effort has largely stalled.  Maybe if you flagged it to
the new developers (on Berlios) they may be able to look into it.

I'm asking if that precedence can be *configured* in the conf,
not asking the default behavior to change in the code,
and "break everyone else's install".

Sorry, I misunderstood - the answer is yes you can.

Yes, in most cases that would work, however some may use fetchmail
from a shell account where they don't have root.

The use of root, or not, is irrelevant - I haven't run fetchmail as
root since the days of 5.x.  The only time you won't be able to pass
mail over loopback is when the SMTP server isn't local.

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.
Rob MacGregor