Re: [fetchmail]Change localhost in hdr to real name?

2005-08-26 01:10:03
Andrew Hill <andy(_at_)hillhome(_dot_)org> writes:

My question is this:  Is there any way to change the "localhost" below,
to the actual name/ip address of the server?

This is a cosmetic (= low-priority) "bug", and the answer is, there is
no way short of polling from an active ETRN, ODMR, or Kerberos server
("skip ..."  doesn't suffice any more since 5.7.5, you need "poll ...").

ESR justified this behavior, and I believe with good reason (as my own
experiences with leafnode and reading de.comm.software.{news,mail}server
are telling me), see the fetchmail.c excerpt below.

You may motivate my adding an option to force name qualification with a
reasonable donation though.

  1043      /*
  1044       * DNS support is required for some protocols.  We used to
  1045       * do this unconditionally, but it made fetchmail excessively
  1046       * vulnerable to misconfigured DNS setups.
  1047       *
  1048       * If we're using ETRN or ODMR, the smtp hunt list is the
  1049       * list of systems we're polling on behalf of; these have
  1050       * to be fully-qualified domain names.  The default for
  1051       * this list should be the FQDN of localhost.
  1052       *
  1053       * If we're using Kerberos for authentication, we need
  1054       * the FQDN in order to generate capability keys.
  1055       */
  1056      for (ctl = querylist; ctl; ctl = ctl->next)
  1057          if (ctl->active &&
  1058                  (ctl->server.protocol==P_ETRN ||
ctl->server.protocol==P_ODMR
  1059                   || ctl->server.authenticate == A_KERBEROS_V4
  1060                   || ctl->server.authenticate == A_KERBEROS_V5))
  1061          {
  1062              fetchmailhost = host_fqdn();
  1063              break;
  1064          }