[fetchmail]Re: [fetchmail-users] fetchmail 6.2.9-rc4 available

2005-09-21 04:05:44
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Thomas(_dot_)Wolff(_at_)siemens(_dot_)com wrote:

-ldl is still missing, and actually on Linux too as I missed to report
previously:

gcc -I/home/thw/opt/openssl-0.9.8/include -I/usr/kerberos/include -g -O2
-L/home/thw/opt/openssl-0.9.8/lib  -o fetchmail  socket.o getpass.o pop2.o
pop3.o imap.o etrn.o odmr.o fetchmail.o env.o idle.o options.o daemon.o
driver.o transact.o sink.o smtp.o uid.o mxget.o md5ify.o cram.o kerberos.o
gssapi.o opie.o rpa.o interface.o netrc.o unmime.o conf.o checkalias.o
smbdes.o smbencrypt.o smbmd4.o smbutil.o lock.o rcfile_l.o rcfile_y.o
norm_charmap.o getaddrinfo.o getnameinfo.o libfm.a  strlcpy.o strlcat.o
-lcrypt  -lresolv -lssl -lcrypto
/home/thw/opt/openssl-0.9.8/lib/libcrypto.a(dso_dlfcn.o)(.text+0x145): In
function `dlfcn_load':

What I hadn't seen earlier: Why is your system linking against
libcrypto.a and not libcrypto.so?  Statically linking objects that use
libdl is not exactly a good idea - leaving aside that statically linking
huge monsters such as openssl isn't a good idea anyhow. Upgrade OpenSSL
(bug fix!) and you'll be reinstalling all network applications for the
next day...

I might add pkg-config support for SSL to ./configure{,.ac} - do
"pkg-config --cflags openssl" and "pkg-config --libs openssl" work for you?

And, to be complete, the insufficient handling of the "unknown IMAPS"
situation is a remaining bug, too; it should be more user-friendly
as I had argued (handling, error messages, documentation).

Right, the error messages will now also point to --service and the FAQ -
turns out we had two central locations only.

The --port workaround is ages old, is now also documented in the --ssl
section of the man page, and has been documented in the FAQ (R12) in
-rc3 already. I believe this is exhaustive.

The error messages on the getaddrinfo() line however are provided by the
operating system, so send your complaints about "servname not for
ai_socktype" (EAI_SERVICE, I checked Solaris 8 SPARC) to Sun
Microsystems.

-----
¹ <http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers>