Re: [fetchmail]Re: Re: multi-hop ssh

2005-11-16 16:07:10
Derek Broughton <auspex(_at_)pointerstop(_dot_)ca> writes:

Didn't test that, but he's probably trying to exec 'ssh
pointers(_at_)pointerstop(_dot_)ca /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd mail' as
the full
name of a file. Did you try leaving out the ticks at all?
(Like: ssh somehost ssh anotherhost /path/to/imapd mail)

Yes!  Thanks very much, that does the trick.  Bash is mysterious enough, but
apparently now I need to relearn quoting.

Doing this with ssh connections is going to be a challenge I wouldn't
recommend to begin with. Since: you've got three shells, one on the
machine where fetchmail runs, one on your first hop and one on the IMAP
serving computer. Each breaks apart the argument into spaces unless you
change this either by quoting or by presetting the special IFS shell
variable (which see, IFS = input field separator). And if you dare think
of backslash escapes, you'll have so many indirections you can spend
minutes counting backslashes.

On a different topic, nevermind your posting the backslash in the
string, it helped reveal a bug where fetchmail would segfault upon
reading the configuration file without leaving the user a hint as to
what might be wrong. Thank you.

Kind regards and happy fetching,