[fetchmail]multidrop and local users

2006-02-13 04:15:26
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help with describing how fetchmail ascertains
whether a local user account is available or not when checking for
multidrops? I've had a look in the code, but as I'm not a programmer, I
can't really make head not tail of it.

What I am doing is creating a mail server archive. In the long run, it
will receive email directly via SMTP, but to test the backend, I'm
pulling emails via POP using fetchmail.

These emails will have any number of recipient names at a handful of
domains. My local MTA is exim and I've configured that to receive any
email to those domains irrespective of whether the recipient has an
account on the box or not (the recipient name will be used for a
database insert).

So ideally, I want fetchmail just to pass all fetched emails to exim
locally. However, the multidrop config always results in "no local
matches, forwarding to postmaster".

I could live with this and figure some procmail recipe to pull out
header details from the postmaster mailbox but I would prefer to stick
with the exim method as it can be reused later.

So I'm hoping someone can tell me how to configure fetchmail to think
the recipient names are local?

I know the problems this would cause normally with the risk of lost
mail. But for the purpose of the type of archiving I'm doing (copied
from main server, no bounces etc), that will not be an issue.

If it's of any use, my fetchmail config is:

set daemon
set no bouncemail
poll 192.168.1.11 with protocol pop3
no dns