Re: [fetchmail]Fetchmail, Tobit, Postfix to name but a few.

2006-02-22 09:03:29
Scotter wrote:
Firstly, apologies for the bizarre solution I'm trying to implement.
The only reason I'm trying to get it to work like this is because of
time and money considerations. As such, I'll be equally appreciative if
someone manages to come up with a quick and dirty fix or a more robust
solution.

Since you mention quick&dirty, I'll make a suggestion that may not work in
your situation, but if it does would be quick, and not even that dirty:
Point a single MX to your Postfix server, and ditch the backup MXs.

In my opinion, backup MXs are more trouble than they're worth, and you're
seeing one reason why.  Don't forget, senders are required by the mail
standards to retry for a few days if they are initially unable to reach
the receiving server.  (Of course, the backup MX question is a live
controversy, so others disagree with me.)

This has been working well for some time. The problem is that the Anti
SPAM and Anti Virus on the tobitmail server has been disabled

A big reason backup MXs are not good these days, except maybe if you
control them.

1) ATRN using fetchmail. This would have been my preferred method as it
would keep headers intact. But authentication fails because the
mail.tobitmail.net requires the EHLO response to be the domain I wish
to collect mail for (Not RFC compliant I believe). Fetchmail always
says "EHLO localhost", unless I set the hostname to
customers-domain.com before running fetchmail. Obviously I don't want
to have to keep renaming server, as I have a few domains I'd like to
collect mail for. Would have been lovely if there was a -ehlo option!

According to your verbose log, you're using version 6.2.5.  Thecurrent
version is 6.3.2.  I don't remember the ETRN feature changing lately, but
I might have forgotten.
If fetchmail is still using "EHLO localhost", that's definitely something
we should change.

2) I've just tired using fetchmail via POP3. If I run it with a --check
it tells me mails their to collect. If I knock the --check off it
starts doing its thing, then starts printing lots of dots. I assumed
that this was a progress report just telling me fetchmail is working,
but even when I've left it running for 10 minutes when one very small
email is in the mailbox its still echoing dots.

The dots are an indicator of progress.  There's probably something weird
about the spam that is confusing fetchmail.  This is something that may
be improved in the current version.

fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying mail.tobitmail.net (protocol auto) at Wed 22
Feb 2006 15:00:13 GMT: poll started

Fetchmail 6.2.5 has some known security problems, which were fixed in
6.2.5.4 and the 6.3 releases.

See http://fetchmail.berlios.de/ for the current version.
(Yes, we know that the old fetchmail web page doesn't indicate that
there's been a change.)

While I'm at it, I'lll mention that this mailing list is deprecated, and
the current lists are shown at:
   http://developer.berlios.de/mail/?group_id=1824

The most obvious question I have is why is the mail being sent to
root(_at_)localhost? (RCPT TO:<root(_at_)localhost>). I'd have expected to see
RCPT TO:<user(_at_)customers-domain(_dot_)com>?

You're probably not properly setting fetchmail for multidrop mode.

Regardless of that, why am I
getting dotted to death?

That's probably a bug in either the POP server or fetchmail or both, and
probably related to the fact that spam is often malformed somehow.

I know most peoples initiate reaction is to say get another server on
the internet and get that running as a backup server for your domains
and remove the tobit mail servers MX records from the domain. That is
my overall plan, but I need time and money to get to that stage.

No, just forget the backup server idea entirely.