Re: [fetchmail] backup MX

2006-02-22 10:32:23
Ed Wilts wrote:
I'll be one person to disagree with you :-).  Alternate MX servers are
*great* solutions if they're not the final recipient of the emails.
For example, we have a couple of MX servers (with equal priority) at
work that capture the external mail.  The servers have identical
hardware configurations.  The emails then go to a pair of internal
servers (again, equal MX).  They then hit the Brightmail servers (here
they differ in their priorities) before they hit Exchange.

It sounds like what you're describing is different from what I'm talking
about.  You seem to have layers between the outside world and the inside,
and the outside world (if I understand correctly) can only get to the one
pair.

And a pair of identical servers under your control with equal priority is
a pure redundancy configuration rather than the sort of backup MX
configuration I'm talking about.