Re: SIGH! Re: text --> IA5 ?

1991-04-18 12:46:00
About the name of ASCII: A Project Team of the European Workshop for
Open Systems (EWOS PT 001, paid by the Commision of the European Communities)
has produced a report on character sets. This was intended for use in
"Open Systems" like OSI and POSIX, and they also addressed the issue of
good unique naming of character sets. Their recommendation was to use
the registration number of the ISO 2375 registry administered by ECMA.
A character set could then be referenced as "ISO IR xxx" meaning ISO
International Registration number xxx. The registration numbers of ISO 2375
is actually also the way character sets are referenced in OSI standards
and profiles, and in European chararacter set profile standards such
as the ENV 41 5xx series made by CEN/CENELEC (the Joint European
Standards Institution).

This information is also included in the character set work that
I have distributed earlier to this list.

ASCII (the 7-bit critter we know so well) has registration number 6.
My naming takes the effort to make the name a token, so I call
it "ISO-IR-6".  Just a suggestion to make the new RFC in line with
much other work in the communications world...

Keld