Character set identification

1991-04-19 07:26:59
I think that disallowing the use of the term "ASCII" is a mistake because
it is clearly understood by more people than any other term.

Allowing the ECMA registrations as permitted extensions does seem reasonable,
but frankly the use of these 7-bit variants is fading quickly and I'm a
lot more concerned with proper handling of the 8-bit standards that all
are moving towards and that will be with us a long time in the future
(namely the ISO 8859/x series).

The ECMA registration is "international" in the European sense but is
not widely used outside of Europe.  I think that omitting "ASCII" in
favor of the ECMA name is a mistake.  Allowing both seems a reasonable
compromise.

The previous note about deficiencies in ISO 646 should be given careful
thought with regard to this effort.

Randall Atkinson
randall(_at_)Virginia(_dot_)EDU