Re: Encoded-Variable header

1991-04-23 12:47:56
From: $Keld_JXrn_Simonsen <keld(_at_)dkuug(_dot_)dk>
Encoded-Variable: Keld_JXrn_Simonsen = quoted-printable, iso646,
    Keld_J&0Crn_Simonsen

I think it might be a good idea to carefully distinguish the quoted
printable used for headers (as above), and the quoted printable used
within the message body. The description for Quoted-Printable talks
about backslash `\', but this should not be used in headers, since
RFC822 attaches a special meaning to backslash. So how about creating
a new encoding called Strictly-Quoted (or whatever) which carefully
avoids backslash, parentheses, etc?

Actually, the above example is wrong since there is a Hex code after
the ampersand, while the Quoted-Printable section says that ampersand
is used together with a single character e.g. &A. But then having a
single character after & may be dangerous e.g. &(.

*** NOTE:  It would be nice to get the character set & hex code right
for the above example.

I think the character set that Keld uses in his name is a variant of
ISO 646. I don't know what the ISO registration number is. Maybe 9-1
or 9-2? Keld, do you know?

It is ISO-IR-60 (Norwegian). Actually the character in my middle name
appears in quite some ISO registered character sets. It is a
"LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH STROKE" in the 10646 sense.
In different notations:
ALFA-hex   &x
mnemonic   &o/

Also, I don't think the vertical bar `|' in Keld's name needs quoting,
since vertical bar is not a special RFC822 character (which is why
Keld was able to use it). The `|' in Keld's name is not a bit-stripped
character. It's a 7-bit national variant.

Yes, it is allowed (as an ASCII code) according to 822, and I use
it in the Danish/Norwegian 7-bit national ISO 646 variant sense.
(Oh, you are only allowed to use strict ASCII in mail?
Well, that was not a requirement in the old uucp world, where I come from:-)
The use of the national ISO 646 variant in email has been
quite commonplace all over Scandinavia (incl Finland) since the
birth of email here. The Icelandics went to latin1, because they
cannot do with just 7-bit. And actually the other Nordic people
want to be able to use something better than 7-bit, this is what
all this discussion on this list is all about...

Actually, maybe we can do all this with one new header called
Header-Type (or something):

      From: Keld J|rn Simonsen <keld(_at_)dkuug(_dot_)dk>
      Header-Type: iso646-9-1

Yes NETF wanted a header like that, but only 10646cm5 or TEXT-HEX.

Keld