Re: support for all character sets

1991-04-24 06:46:19

What exactly do you mean by "support"? Do you mean the ability to
convert to another character set in the list?

I mean simply the ability to display the specified character set.
Unless my UA knows about ISO 2022-foo, it can't likely display the
glyphs can it?

I think 10646 and Unicode should not be mentioned until they become
standards. Well, we *can* mention them now, but only in a footnote
saying that we might add these to the list later on.

This is not true.  This RFCXXXX document cannot become a full standard
until everything referenced in it is a full standard in it's
respecitive standards organization.  But... We can still reference
things list ISO 10646, and expect that it becomes a IS before RFCXXXX
become an Full Standard.  Even in the best case, this will be over
a year from the time RFCXXXX becomes a proposed standard RFC, likely
2 years from now given the fundamental importance this document has in
a very popular Internet service. I would expect 10646 to make it's
final hurdle in that amount of time... or am I unduly charitable to
ISO?

Greg V.