Re: What's the 'part' in 'multipart'?

1991-04-26 13:27:45
I really don't see the gateway difficulty.  Consider the two directions:

X.400 -> RFC-XXXX:  Each body part becomes a part in the multipart
message; in each such part, all you really need is content-type, maybe a
content-encoding, and then a blank line and the part itself.  No problem.

RFC-XXXX -> X.400:  A very naive gateway could just turn each of the
multipart parts into an encapsulated message X.400 body part.  No
problem, but maybe not exactly what you want (there's no point in using
an encapsulated message just to contain a simple one-part thing like
text or fax).  A gateway that is just a teeny weeny bit smarter could
look at the Content-type and, if it corresponds to an X.400 body-part,
translate it into  that instead of into an encapsulated message.

I really don't see any problem for gateways.  What am I missing?