Re: character sets

1991-04-30 06:01:37
Bob Smart writes:
1) I'd like to see a description of some of these character sets that
are being proposed like ISO-2022. Are they ftpable?

I don't think you can ftp a copy of ISO 2022.

I think the new RFC should include a full description of the
simplified 2022, together with pointers (references) to the relevant
character set registrations. (RFC821 referred to the ASCII doc, didn't
it?)

In order to give you some idea how it works, here is a very brief
introduction:

        ESC ( B         introduces ASCII
        ESC ( G         introduces a Swedish set
        ESC $ B         introduces 2-byte Japanese Kanji

For example:

        ESC $ B 4 A ; z ESC ( B f i l e .

This says "KANJI file." (KANJI in Japanese, of course).

Most of us will need some convincing -- the thought of a header

      X-<stuff-in-japanese>: ...

is too scary.

For each of the three character encodings (2022, Unicode, 10646), I
explicitly stated that only ASCII would be used in headers. If we can
devise a method to encode other character sets in header-safe codes,
then we should do so.

Erik