Re: UUencode

1991-05-01 14:56:33
Excerpts from ext.ietf-822: 30-Apr-91 Re: UUencode Tim
Kehres(_at_)ima(_dot_)com (1489)

Would it not be reasonable to make a recommendation in
the RFC strongly recommending the use of a version of uuencode/uudecode after
a certain revision number?

Probably not.  The receiving mail agent should have a reasonable chance
of coping with uuencoded stuff, so we want to define what senders who
use it should put in their headers, and what receivers who want to
understand it should do, but we shouldn't encourage the use of it by
senders.  Rather, we should encourage people to use BASE64.

Bill