quoted-readable as content-type?

1991-05-10 22:26:29
To: Keld J|rn Simonsen <keld(_at_)dkuug(_dot_)dk>
Cc: ietf-822(_at_)dimacs(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu
Subject: Re: On encodings : random thoughts....
Date: Sat, 11 May 91 11:17:29 +1000
From: Bob <smart(_at_)mel(_dot_)dit(_dot_)csiro(_dot_)au>

The idea of a Content-encoding whose algorithmic meaning varies with
the Content-type takes a bit of getting used to, and is not compatible
with the ideal of making Content-type and Content-encoding orthogonal.
However it is the Europeans who have the problem of multiple Character
sets with the same glyph appearing in different ways in different sets.
They have a solution which can be accomodated into the rfc-xxxx framework
with a slight squeeze, and I believe it deserves careful consideration.

Bob Smart

I think quoted-readable is a fine idea for a content-TYPE, and deserves further
development along these lines.

Perhaps those who are interested would like to explore these ideas offline?

A quoted-readable content-type, used with 7-BIT content-encoding, would fit
quite well into the established portion of the RFC XXXX framework, and
development of this facility would take place much more rapidly within a
community of those specifically interested in such work, than here.

What do you think?

Keith