Comments & Reactions to the draft

1991-05-22 05:59:40

 Here are some comments on the draft RFC and also some comments in
 reaction to others' comments.  I've tried to keep the quotes and
 such in context, if I've failed and gotten the attribution wrong
 please accept my apologies.  I may repeat myself a bit in this note
 because I'm trying to reply to several other messages at once,
 apologies for any inconvenience this causes.

 Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 14:42:45 -0400
 From: Greg Vaudreuil <gvaudre(_at_)nri(_dot_)reston(_dot_)va(_dot_)us>

% Third, none of the content-types are for 8 bit text.  Only ASCII is
% specified as a defined content type.  I realize that this is not yet
% settled on the mailing list, but it would be nice to have at least a
% strawman available for other content-types as well as examples.
% Possible examples include the 8859-n family, the 2022 family, 646
% national variant family, and the 10646 set.

 I think that we do need to explicitly support at least the ISO 8859/n
 family of character set encodings.  These are already widely implemented
 and are clearly where much of the world is heading.  The ISO DIS 10646
 and UNICODE drafts are not yet complete or approved and so it would be
 premature to explicitly support them.  It might be reasonable to indicate
 that future support for them would be considered, but actually adding it
 would be premature just now.

% That said, I'd like to see a "common" character set defined in this
% document.  At this point, that seems to point to either 10646, or
% Unicode.  Both have their dis-advantages, but they are implementable.
% Use of other codes are also acceptable.

 The above proposal seems premature in terms of what is practical in
 the real world for the near term.  The IETF and IAB really can't
 force someone to pay the extra dollars for multilingual support on
 their system if they don't need it.  Already there are a lot of
 systems out there that cannot conform to other RFCs (e.g. using
 the DNS instead of /etc/hosts) and I don't see the point in drafting
 a requirement that isn't going to be enforcable.

 No common character set should be defined in the current RFC,
 instead it should support the key US and ISO standard character
 set standards that are in wide use within the Internet community.