Re: data announcement

1991-06-12 21:33:52
Actually, what do *you* say? Is this idea just totally infeasible?

Not "totally" infeasible, but just incredibly biased towards a
Unix approach and the universal email problem.

Those of us oriented towards a resource-based file system
look with considerable trepidation at a future with a potentially
infinite expansion of Unix file header lines of the type:

Especially if this is proposed as a solution for identifying
all kinds of bits in files, and not just email.  I'm afraid the
net result of that would be to position Unix even farther out
in hackers' left field, rather than helping to make it disappear
under a decent GUI.

...the new extended email
format is intended to allow a sender to transmit to a receiver,
everything the receiver ever wanted to know about the data.

Hmm.  I thought that was what the DATA was for...

--Ken Whistler