Re: 7/8-bit conversion vs. bouncing

1991-06-29 11:43:39
On Jun 28, 10:28pm, Keld J|rn Simonsen wrote:

I have become convinced, through silence and avoidance of reading all
this XXXX effluvia, that it is hopeless to deal with the 8-7 encoding
anywhere but at the original UA posting point.  PERIOD.  FULL STOP.

   OK, no problem with that one.... it is where I started from.

% Bouncing email because it is crossing an 8/7 bit boundary is
% a SHOW STOPPER to me. And to many other Europeans.
% Try to figure out my trouble telling my users that the mail
% was bounced because of some site not being able to accept
% what they sent, (which was a simple 8-bit mail).

  It is still better than the existing scheme and I agree firmly that
bouncing-is-better because there is vast experience across the net
that a lot of sites assert that they are gateways when they are not
and then proceed to mangle thoroughly the

  One cannot call 8-bit mail "simple" in the existing Internet because
it flatly is not supported.  We have to be sure to implement a scheme
that won't mangle mail on the fly (such mangling surely will result if
hosts are widely permitted to perform 7/8-bit conversions on the fly).

Ran
randall(_at_)Virginia(_dot_)EDU