Mac Symbols

1991-09-22 19:33:12
Eric,

I presume that the Mac-specific symbols are in UNICODE which means that they
(and the PC-specific symbols) will have assignments in 10646.  (10646 will
also have code points for every other character set known to man.)

The AUC proposal provides an algorithm for a 1-to-5 octet encoding for the
10646 codepoints.  Mac and PC symbols are certain to end up in the 2-octet
catagory.

And, yes, this does assume that SMTP is an 8-bit path.

Please, I am not trying to challenge anyone's intentions or intelligence.
SMTP is already an 8-bit path.  The vendors are shipping it that way at
the request of the customers.

The challenge before the SMTP and 822 WGs is to determine the nature of
the "redefinition" of 821 and 822 to accommodate the reality of 8-bit
SMTP.

Failure by the WGs to do so will not put SMTP back to 7-bits.  It will
only ultimately remove the WGs from the "redefinition".