Re: new-ish idea on non-ascii headers

1991-09-22 12:49:59
On Sat, 21 Sep 1991 17:43 PDT, Ned Freed, Postmaster wrote:
John C Klensin writes:
While the language of RFC822 somewhat obscures it, the intent of the
     phrase <mailbox(_at_)domain>
syntax was, at least in part, to permit routing, by means other than
RFC821/822, to multiple distinct individuals who share the same mailbox.
I've never heard this before. If it is true, I think the people who came up
with this idea should get a stern talking-to for being so silly. This idea
is
completely unworkable in practice.

Ned, I'm sorry, but I must disagree.  This is not only workable, it's used!
One of the biggest long-term complaints in DEC-20 MM is that it doesn't
support this -- a mistake I did *not* repeated in my more modern mail
software.

I think your problem is that you don't understand that the routing involved is
non-electronic.  It's human.