Re: New-ish idea on non-ascii headers

1991-09-24 06:55:01
Excerpts from mail: 22-Sep-91 Re: New-ish idea on non-asc.. Ned
Freed(_at_)HMCVAX(_dot_)CLAREMO (6994)

Even if you disagree about mnemonic, you cannot possibly make this case
stick with quoted-printable. Quoted-printable will decrease the use of
special RFC822 quoting unconditionally, and if it is adopted I plan to
use it just for this reason!

Doesn't quoted-printable start its special sequences with the special
character ':'?

I'd guess that the ``phrase'' should be decoded, but in addr-spec, the
``local-part'' should be left alone.  How about comments?  Are they to
be decoded in From: lines?  How about in other lines, like Received: or
Date:?  How about all the extension fields--are they to be decoded?  How
about the Received: header: its optional ``for'' clause contains an
addr-spec.  Is that to be decoded?  What about the message massagers
along the way that add Received: lines and possibly manipulate other
headers?  What should they do about interpreting encoded text, or making
sure that the text they generate is encoded if that's indicated?

I've already addressed this in previous messages -- please read them.

Could you offer a simple reminder to those of us who are making honest
attempts to remember?  I have indeed followed this list.  My short-term
memory doesn't go back 5 megabytes.  I honestly don't remember this
point being driven to closure.

As I recall, this discussion (header encodings) resumed as you
complained that nobody had responded to an old ``position paper''
message you sent.  You have your discussion.  Is it wrong to ask for a
recap?

                Thanks,
                Craig