Re: Non-ASCII hdrs: Encoded-Variables Redux

1991-10-19 05:12:44
My proposal tries to avoid cluttering up the To, From, etc lines, by
putting the unreadable gibberish (Base64, Quoted-Printable Japanese,
Mnemonic Japanese, etc) in other header lines:

      Header-Encoding: 1=text/iso2022=base64=gd0p4Jq0N2Yt09jU524c1p
      Header-Encoding: 2=text/mnemonic=7bit=Keld J&o/rn Simonsen

      From: Yasushi Nakahara *1 <ynk(_at_)ome(_dot_)toshiba(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp>
      To: Keld Jorn Simonsen *2 <keld(_at_)dkuug(_dot_)dk>

I have put an empty line between the header lines to indicate which
header lines (From, To) would be seen in an unextended viewer like
MH-E.

Using the Smart/Freed proposal, this would look like:

      Header-Charset: mnemonic / quoted-printable

      From: Yasushi Nakahara &_j1632_&_j4530_&_j6523_
<ynk(_at_)ome(_dot_)toshiba(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp>
      To: Keld J&o/rn Simonsen <keld(_at_)dkuug(_dot_)dk>

It is nice to see real examples! And I believe Erik is right in the
presentation, even in the japanese codepoints.

One problem with Erik's proposal is that in the example with the
European name, the name will be shown twice with the expansion
software (as far as I undrestand it). I think that would be overkill
and confusing to users.

Keld