Re: Non-ASCII hdrs: Encoded-Variables Redux

1991-10-19 00:46:58
Ned Freed writes:
You, on the other hand, keeping saying that mnemonic is not useful for
non-Western languages. Even if I agree with you, which I do not, you
have yet to present a solution that is demonstrably better in the case
of an unextended viewer

I will now attempt to demonstrate that my proposal is better than
yours (Smart/Freed) in the case of an unextended viewer.

In the unextended viewer that I use (MH in Emacs), only the last few
header lines are displayed (e.g. To, From, Cc, Subject). This is
probably done to avoid displaying all the Received lines.

My proposal tries to avoid cluttering up the To, From, etc lines, by
putting the unreadable gibberish (Base64, Quoted-Printable Japanese,
Mnemonic Japanese, etc) in other header lines:

        Header-Encoding: 1=text/iso2022=base64=gd0p4Jq0N2Yt09jU524c1p
        Header-Encoding: 2=text/mnemonic=7bit=Keld J&o/rn Simonsen

        From: Yasushi Nakahara *1 <ynk(_at_)ome(_dot_)toshiba(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp>
        To: Keld Jorn Simonsen *2 <keld(_at_)dkuug(_dot_)dk>

I have put an empty line between the header lines to indicate which
header lines (From, To) would be seen in an unextended viewer like
MH-E.

Using the Smart/Freed proposal, this would look like:

        Header-Charset: mnemonic / quoted-printable

        From: Yasushi Nakahara &_j1632_&_j4530_&_j6523_
<ynk(_at_)ome(_dot_)toshiba(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp>
        To: Keld J&o/rn Simonsen <keld(_at_)dkuug(_dot_)dk>

Even if it can be demonstrated that some unextended viewers show many
header lines instead of just the last few, I think we should avoid
cluttering the old header lines (From, To, etc).

Regards,
EvdP