Re: Non-ASCII hdrs

1991-10-18 13:01:56
  Keld keeps asserting that "Japanese people are quite happy with Kana
Mnemonics" which avoids the central issue I raise and people ignore,
-- namely the support for ideograms (which are NOT kana but rather are
Kanji in Japanese terminology).

Well, this is about the first time I stated that the Japanese people are
happy with the Kana mnemonics. And I have never ignored the fact that
the current mnemonics are inferior to current JIS 2022 and other 2022
handling of ideographs, and I have stated that in almost every letter
on the subject. Please be precise, Ran, when you are stating such
negativities.

  Moreover, most of the folks I correspond with in Japan detest any
romanisation of Japanese Kana (either Hiragana or Katakana) including
Mnemonic.  They also feel that ISO have been very Euro-centric in
their requirements for drafts documents.

Well, I think the CJK people are not the people to care for
when we are talking fallback notation. The CJK people will
have 2022 support anyway and thus have the right stuff for their eyes.
It is rather the rest of the world.
There some kind of romanisation is the best common denominator, IMHO.

Then we can discuss what is the best way of presenting CJK
on an avarage dumb US/Danish/Russsian/Greek terminal.
The 2022 representation or the mennonic representation or
the base64 or the quoted printable representation.
I think this is actually much the same, namely unintelligbly
to most people, including the CJK people.
One advantage of the current mnemonic CJK naming is that
you can see that it is CJK, and if you have the CJK tables,
you can look up the right character easily. Mnemonic CJK is
some Japanese ideographic character.

Keld