Re: Non-ASCII hdrs

1991-10-19 01:50:33
I agree with Ran.  A mnemonic system that deals only with kana is totally
useless.

This suggests that Ran and Mark believe that Mnemonic does not intend to
handle the glyphs of all the Japanese alphabets. I have the clear impression
that Keld intends Mnemonic to handle _all_ known glyphs. Perhaps Keld
can enlighten us on this. It certainly makes a difference to the Header
proposal.

The current mnemonic specification does handle CKJ ideographic
is one of j, J, c, k for X0208, X0212, GB2312 and KSC5601 respectively.
The problem with these mnemonics is that CJK people would
rather see the 2022 encoded real character on the screeen than
such a mnemonic.

Right now mnemonic can handle almost all character sets in the ECMA
registry, plus some vendor defined charsets. It is the intension to
make mnemonic cover the whole lot. Actually the new version will
handle Vietnamese (coming real soon now). Also unknown characters
are planned to be handled with some naming.

I think that Mark has forgot the things I have written. I have stated
numerous times that CJK is supported, with known defiencies.

keld