Re: Non-ASCII hdrs

1991-10-19 23:25:58
All I ask is some specific (name, version) software and some specific
quoted phrase examples.

I've just done what I should have done before my previous posting and tried
a few things. Can't upset /usr/ucb/mail yet, but sendmail can't handle
a "<" in a quoted phrase. Preceding it with a "\" doesn't help. What is
sendmail doing looking for "<"s in a quoted phrase? Then it looses characters
in various places on the line when it finds one, rendering the line illegal.

Now all you anti-sendmail people should rush to support the richtext
solution which will kill sendmails everywhere :-).

Consider the draft proposal modified to say that angle brackets in
quoted strings should also be rendered in quoted-printable. This solution
will of course also work for the richtext option. I'll try to find out
what sendmail is doing to see if there is anything else needed to handle
its stupidity, though I don't think it would be wrong to just declare it
broken (since it is). Unfortunately we're going to have mail going through
sendmail for a long time :-(.

Bob Smart