Re: Non-ASCII hdrs

1991-10-21 04:37:12
  I agree fully with Mark's analysis below.  One key point to be aware
of is that in Taiwan/China/Japan the most common "minimum capability"
terminals are capable of handling the local character sets(JIS or GB
or whatever).  Their minimum is not US ASCII.

  A mechanism that would permit temporary, transitional local enclaves
to send their existing 7-bit data around in headers with a marking
like "X-JIS-ISO_2022" or "X-GB" or anything comparable would be much
more useful than Mnemonic in the CJK environment.  It would not
involve 8-bit characters and would be no less intelligible to folks
without the suitable locally (i.e. Taiwan or Japan or ... ) common
terminals than proposed mnemonic encoding (actually row/column entries
into a lookup table in this case) would be.

  I'm NOT fond of local enclaves but it seems clear that RFC-XXXX will
be ready long before ISO 10646 is finalised and approved (and
implemented widely) and this makes more sense in CJK languages than
mnemonic does because it lets the local folks plug and go now.