Re: Non-ASCII hdrs

1991-10-21 09:31:43
Keld says:
      I have several ways of doing things like that up my sleeve.
      I have romanisation tables for CJK.
      I have some pattern description for CJK.
      I have dictionary numbers for CJK.

      names?

  Not in the general case since there are multiple languages using the
same ideograms.  I'm not a Japanese-speaker and cannot read Kana at
all.  I can read most Kanji because I do know Chinese.

  Erik and Mark have already commented that there is no 1-1 mapping
between romanisation and kanji for Japanese.  This is also true for
Chinese because of homonyms within any given dialect and the many
mutually unintelligible dialects of Chinese.

The chinese GB standard has been tabled with chinese romanisation
and the japanese with japanese romanisation.
Also JIS X0212 has been tabled with chinese romanization.

  The several dictionaries of Chinese that I use have different dictionary
numbers for the same character.

We have chosen two of those dictiotionaries for the numbering
and have each of the charactes coded with those two numbers.

  What is meant by "pattern description" ??  Do you mean radicals ?
If so that is unlikely to work also.  Research done in Asia and at
places like PARC have shown that the existing radical-encoding schemes
all have many-to-one mappings in parts of their encoding tables.  That
isn't likely to be useful.

Pattern description is not radical/stroke. We do have radical stroke too.
Patern description is based on the left downward corner of
the character, as far as I know.

keld