Re: Yet another proposal for non-ASCII chars in headers

1991-10-21 09:33:48
One thing that troubles me right off the bat:  do we really want to
start assigning integer codes to character sets?  Is it that much more
painful to just name them?

But there is no real standard for naming them either.  In the interests
of minimizing re-invention of the wheel, and of introducing some
significant and related practical experience into this, might I
encourage everyone who wants to participate in the next steps of this
discussion to retrieve kermit/a/isok6.txt from Watsun.cc.columbia.edu by
anon FTP.  While  the kermit problems are clearly different from the
header (or even body) problems with mail, many of the issues are
similar, typologies and labels already exist, and there is a large body
of existing practice and experience.
   john