Re: Yet another proposal for non-ASCII chars in headers

1991-10-21 10:43:22
As Craig writes:
I had thought that Erik's proposal was
excellent except for possible prior use of his ``*<n>'' codes, and in
fact Erik's could be superior in that it provides a graceful method by
which folks may give their name in Romanized fashion as well as in
full-blown arbitrary-charset form.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'll tell you one missing point.
The romanized name in Header field should not be considered optional.
It's one of the basic requirement for CJK for they cannot be understood
without their romanized name.
So I prefer Erik's proposal though it has some problems to be discussed.

As Bob writes:
One nice feature of Keith's proposal is that it doesn't introduce
any new headers. This particularly means that you can process a message
sequentially without looking at all the headers before you start to
display any of them. It also is much more resilient against the sort
of bugs that John Klensin has warned us about. There is a cost which
is high if you are religious about these things and very low if you
are practically-minded. Given that we are the Internet not the other
mob we should be the latter.

I'll give higher score to Erik's proposal with the same reason as I wrote
above, though it might have some drawbacks.

--
              .-.
       .-.   ((@))        Uhhyung Choi