Re: Non-ASCII hdrs: Encoded-Variables Redux

1991-10-22 02:41:21
Ned, you don't have to tell me about the people who use Macintoshes, I
have a network full of them. It causes me untold headaches, because all
the UAs and MTAs for Macintosh (with the not terribly surprising
exception of the POP/SMTP-based ones) were designed by idiot mac
programmers, who, while they can make anything pretty, couldn't design
a robust, reliable messaging system to save their lives (and woe betide
the customer who demands support!).

My understanding is that the IBM PC arena is no better in this regard.
But then, what can you expect from systems whose daily operation is an
exercise in Core Wars?

I'm glad to hear that you've made the implementation choices that you
have; I'm sure it has saved many a postmaster considerable grief.
However, perhaps it would be good for your documentation to not only
tell why header stripping is bad, but also tell a few war stories of
embarassed institutions, and how the political battle against header
stripping is sucessfully waged by the canny postmaster.

Ah! Such insurmountable opportunity!

        Erik E. Fair    apple!fair      fair(_at_)apple(_dot_)com