Re: ISO-2022 & RFC-XXXX

1991-10-22 09:22:37
  In order to prevent any uncertainty about this intent in potential
readers of RFC-XXXX, and to avoid needless linguistic bias towards the
non-alphabetic languages, we should avoid formally "recommending" ANY
other format in the RFC text.  This explicitly means that I think that
"mnemonic" should be clearly permitted but should not be specified as
the officially "recommended" format for either headers or body in the
RFC.

One problem with the current 10646 (UNICODE merged) is that it is
inherently 8-bit which then needs an encoding. This can be base64,
quoted-printable or mnemonic.

Eunet and nordunet has specified that they want mnemonic as the
recommended encoding in the new RFC standard.

keld