Richtext internal reference

1991-12-06 11:43:06
I've been thinking about the internal-reference proposal by Harri
Salminen, presented first in Santa Fe and then on this list.  At first I
really liked the idea, but I'm no longer so sure.  In particular, it
only gives us functionality beyond what we already have in the case of
multiple references to the same object.  Without it, we can still do
something like:

--foo

This is a picture:
--foo

...image...
--foo

... and the richtext continues here
--foo--

Given this ability, I'm not sure that it's worth adding the
internal-reference to richtext at this late date.  Comments?  --
Nathaniel

PS -- Ned & I hope to have a new draft, reflecting all the Santa Fe
decisions, within a few days (i.e. Monday or Tuesday at the very
latest).  -- NB