MNEMONIC character set

1991-12-06 12:43:07
I'm busy trying to incorporate the Santa Fe decisions into the draft,
and I have come up against one that I think is a tad silly.

In Santa Fe, I think we decided that a charset of MNEMONIC means
mnemonic with a base set of US-ASCII and a quoting character of &.  We
also established a convention for specifying otherwise, e.g.
"MNEMONIC+ISO-10646+64" would mean MNEMONIC using ISO-10646 as the base
charset  and @ as the quoting character.

Upon reflection, I think that it is a mistake to provide the latter
escape valve.  The only value of it is that it means that software
targeting another charset can avoid immediately switching charsets at
the start of a message.  The drawback is that it constitutes a huge
violation of our basic goal of keeping the number of "charset" values
small.    I think that eliminating this is a big gain for little pain.
Can't we just say that, as used in mail, MNEMONIC always starts out with
a standard base character set and a standard quoting character?  Is it
really that much easier to say "MNEMONIC+ISO-10646+64" than to say
"MNEMONIC" and put a charset change at the start of the message body?