General type parameters

1991-12-07 12:35:55
Have you considered to have a special section of RFC-XXXX
specifying the "general" parameters (or attributes) that are
applicable to more than one content-type with the same semantics
and therefore should have the same parameter name for these
types and not be overloaded for other types?

There is one clear example of such a parameter, Charset
(mandatory for Text and optional for other types).  I
would also suggest that the following parameters could be
treated as general parameters as well:

-- File-Name (optional for all types).  Was called "Name" for
   type Binary in the October draft, and "Filename" for
   Application/External-Reference.  The recipient may be
   interested in storing not only these but also Text
   and Image body (parts) in external files and the sender may
   be able to suggest a good file name.

-- Original-File-Date (optional for all types):  This
   information, provided by the sender, may be very useful if
   you get different versions of the "same" file or has got
   it from several different sources.

-- File-Type (optional for Text and Application):  This did
   exist in the October draft under the name "Type" as a
   parameter for Binary.  The kind of information I think could
   be given here is a short label corresponding to the "type" of
   a file that in old-fashioned operating systems like TOPS-10
   and MSDOS used to be indicated by the three characters after
   the point in the file name, e.g. Fortran source program, help
   information file, initialization file, .LZH archive file.

-- Language (optional for Text and Audio):  Indicates one or
   more natural languages used in a text or audio message, by
   means of ISO-standardized language identifiers.  Keld
   Simonsen has told me that something like this has been
   discussed and rejected earlier.  If the issue is not closed,
   I can provide some arguments for this being useful
   information to provide in program-parsable form in some
   cases.